Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Pray For The Pope

Today Pope Benedict began his visit to Turkey. Before his election in the conclave , he felt that his election would be "a guillotine."

As the trend in the ballots slowly made me realize that — in a manner of speaking, the guillotine would fall on me — I started to feel quite dizzy,” a smiling Benedict said, clearly joking. “I thought that I had done my life’s work and could now hope to live out my days in peace. I told the Lord with deep conviction, ’Don’t do this to me.”’

Let's pray that he won't experience martydom on this visit.
The reason that cardinals and popes wear the little red skull caps is to remind them of the price of martyrdom that was paid by many of those who had gone before them. The Catholic heirarchy live in the understanding that they can be called to give their lives for Christ as so many had done throughout the history of the Church. The first 6 or 7 popes were martyred for the faith during the Roman persecutions. Keep our Holy Father in your prayers that God's will be done on earth as it is in Heaven.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The skull cap is a yarmulke to a Jew and a Zucchetto to Catholic clergy.
It is there to act as a shield on the spot where the hair doesn't grow on the scalp. These Zucchetto's shield the pontiff from spiritual attacks and the Devil who use this spot to enter the body for possession or mental/emotional attack. This bald spot was annoited with oil and then covered with the lambs wool cap.
People are told that these little caps keep the head warm when church's were cold and damp and are now adopted as part of traditional dress research and experience tell another story. I found this info while researching the origins of the yarmulke among the Jews. Quite fascinating!

November 28, 2006 1:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis