Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

We All Need Saints (Heroes)


Catholic heroes are called saints. The process for recognizing one has become formalized over the past millenium but the path to becoming one remains the same: Lives of heroic faith lived for God and fidelity to the Church. I like to think of them as that great cloud of witnesses we are surrounded by. All Christians regardless of whether they are Catholic or not recognize the need for saints in their lives. Protestant Pastor John Piper says:

"The lives of our flawed Christian heroes are inspiring for two reasons: because they were flawed (like us) and because they were great (unlike us). Their flaws give us hope that maybe God could use us too. Their greatness inspires us to venture beyond the ordinary.

How does it come about that an ordinary person breaks out of the ruts of humdrum life to do something remarkable? It usually happens because of the inspiration of a man or woman they admire.

Do you have any heroes? Do you read about the lives of men and women who broke out of the mold and escaped the trap of the ordinary? Why not make a resolution now for the year 2000? - That you will read a biography. You have six weeks to plan this and choose the book. You can even put it on your Christmas wish list if you start thinking now. If you plan it, it is likely to happen. If you don't, it probably won't."

Not only do the heroes of our faith provide role models, Mary being the first among them, they also provide an added benefit too! They intercede for us. I suggest that you read Butler's volumes of The Lives of the Saints.

Catechism of the Church states:

"Being more closely united to Christ, those who dwell in heaven fix the whole Church more firmly in holiness. . . . They do not cease to intercede with the Father for us, as they proffer the merits which they acquired on earth through the one mediator between God and men, Christ Jesus. . . . So by their fraternal concern is our weakness greatly helped."

St. Terese of Lisieux said this before she died:

Do not weep, for I shall be more useful to you after my death and I shall help you then more effectively than during my life.
I want to spend my heaven in doing good on earth.
St. Terese, pray that I will begin to have a heart for God as you did. Pray that I can love Jesus the way you do.

3 Comments:

Blogger owenswain said...

I was thinking on this very topic today, or one close by, the veneration of angels.

Interesting Piper quote {an author whom I have read}. While he and other Christians speak of the need for and value of godly heroes they would stop well short your final sentence; a prayer to their {physically} dead hero and this is their loss and where the similarity of thought brakes down.

November 22, 2006 1:45 PM  
Blogger Fr LWG said...

Many blessings to you this day!

November 23, 2006 2:29 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

Thank you Father!
I am honored to have a priest check my blog. God bless you and thankyou for being faithful to Christ's calling on your life.

November 23, 2006 6:37 PM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis