Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Sunday, May 20, 2007

"If He Only Had a Brain...."

Dr. Robert Koons just announced his upcoming conversion 5/26/2007 to Catholicism. He is a professor of Philosophy at the University of Texas. He wrote a paper in July 2006 called a Lutheran's Case for Catholicism here.

"I began to realize that many Lutheran and Protestant polemicists have been guilty of two fallacies: a straw-man version of contemporary Roman Catholic teaching, and a cherry-picking of quotations from the Fathers..."


But alas, the bashing has begun. Here's a few select quotes from a Lutheran blogger:

"So it really is intellectual suicide on the order of what geocentrist fundamentalists ask of people.

". . . In other words, to be a Catholic is to have so put your mind to death that no matter how ludicrous or self-contradictory the Vatican’s declarations are, you simply trust with absolute faith that the pope is being inerrantly inspired by God."

Is he implying that if he (Dr. Koons) only had a brain....Maybe he wouldn't have converted?


Toto, we are definitely not in Kansas anymore.

Welcome Home Dr. Koons. You will be in our prayers.

13 Comments:

Blogger Cathy said...

Ya know, I'm a pretty tolerant person. I don't care if a person practices Lutheranism, but I find it amusing how many Lutherans and Anglicans LOVE calling Catholics 'stupid.'
I'd like them to name one single ludicrous or self-contradictory thing to come from the Pope with regards to Faith and Morals.
Oh, yeah, we're talking about Lutherans, so they'd saaaaay....

Abortion
Womynpriests
Contraception
Homosexuality
Divorce

ET. CETERA.

It's not the Vatican that's wrong, Lutherans.
And saying it IS doesn't make you an intellectual, and saying it ISN'T doesn't make me stupid.
God gives every person the ability to submit to reason and logic.
Intellectual suicide? That's cheap rhetoric, and it's pretty funny coming from a church that commits SPIRITUAL suicide by supporting every sinful idea modern man comes up with and floats along in whatever wind is currently blowing.

May 21, 2007 11:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You shall know them by their fruits.

I can't even fathom the possibility of ANYone in the Catholic Church converting and then being slammed by Catholic theologians - apologists - bloggers. The Church would react in concern for their lost brother or sister not in anger and certainly not in hostility.

What could possibly prompt such a reaction save the truth?

May 21, 2007 12:52 PM  
Blogger Pilgrimsarbour said...

I can see that, even with that fabulous brain of yours, you are unable to decide on and stick with only ONE picture for this post! LOL! This one's much better, by the way.

May 21, 2007 2:57 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

Wait till you see this one PA

May 21, 2007 5:18 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

GFF:
There actually was some uncharitable speculation on Bill Cork's recent reversion to his original 7th Day Adventist faith, though the flames didn't rise as high in my biased opinion, as they did with Beckwith and now Koons.
Here's one example:
"Isn't there a proverb about the dog returning to his own vomit? To abandon the Eucharist for a false prophet is mind boggling."

We are still called to love the others who don't share our theology as well as those who leave our communion as well.

May 21, 2007 5:30 PM  
Blogger Pilgrimsarbour said...

My Friends,

At the time I posted my comments here there were no others published. I regret if I came across as insensitive or flippant regarding this issue. I am just the opposite. If a high-profile individual were to leave my communion, I would be surprised, even shocked. But I would not have the nerve to claim that an acknowledged, intelligent seminary Professor, for example, was "brain-dead." This kind of comment, in my view, displays a lack of humility, and insecurities about what they themselves believe. Not being formally trained myself, I would be loathe to comment on what someone like this hypothetical professor should or should not know. After all, we can never know comprehensively what someone else is thinking.

All God's Best,

Pilgrimsarbour

May 21, 2007 5:34 PM  
Blogger Cathy said...

Pilgrimsarbour,
I can only speak for myself, but I didn't think your comment came across as uncharitable in the least; in fact, I wondered what the first picture was and chuckled.
I do appreciate you being so kind as to be concerned about it, though.
Thank you.

May 21, 2007 7:22 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

Hey PA:
You are probably one of the most non-flippant and sensitive bloggers to ever have digitally darkened my pathetic polemic little corner of the BSPHERE!
I don't think anyone would accuse you of otherwise! I agree with Ma BecK
God bless, no worries

May 21, 2007 7:33 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

Hey St. Jimbob if you are out there:
Can you photoshop me up a better pic than this? They'll think us Catholics are technologically impaired!
Just google scarecrow for the image and koons website .
Thanks

May 21, 2007 10:55 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

Better Yet PA:
Here's your penance... photoshop me a better image and e mail me! LOL

May 21, 2007 10:56 PM  
Blogger Pilgrimsarbour said...

Oh no! A chink in the Pilgrimsarmour! I used "loathe" instead of "loath!" Ahhhhhhhhhh! It is ashamed, I am. (--now feels free to be flippant because of kind comments from friends)

May 22, 2007 8:33 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

Yeah, I picked up on that spelling mistake, didn't want to announce it to everyone. (Yeah right)

May 22, 2007 9:29 PM  
Blogger Pilgrimsarbour said...

Ah, TJ, it is a man of class, you are.

May 22, 2007 10:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis