Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Sunday, September 02, 2007

Mother Teresa Redux


Dinesh D'Souza has a great article here regarding Mother Teresa's Dark Night recently rediscovered by the popular media after the publishing of her letters. I saw a recording of one of her speeches on EWTN last night. Man could she preach! But it was not with her volume, tone or eloquence, but with the love of Christ. The love she had for God came across very clearly.
Love, not being an emotion, but "a decision of the will."

"The greatness of Mother Teresa is that even when she was deprived of the spiritual satisfactions of feeling God's presence in her life, she did not waver, she soldiered on. She was not deterred in her mission. And what she didn't have by way of feeling, she compensated for by way of will. In doing so, she teaches us all something about love: it is not merely a sentiment, to be set aside when feelings come and go, but rather a decision of the will. That she did what she did in exchange for the love of God is astounding enough. That she did it all even when this love was invisible to her—if this does not constitute saintliness, I don't know what does."

3 Comments:

Blogger Joyful Catholics said...

TJ I started watching the same speech on EWTN last night, but was too tired and fell asleep which explains why I was up at 2:30 a.m. Weird hours I keep. Anyway, on The World Over, Raymond had a segment on Mother Teresa, and I got some great photos with my NIKON off the t.v.! I'm going to post a couple of her being kissed on her precious head by JPII.

She's a glorious and wonderful woman, God rest her precious victim soul.

September 02, 2007 9:47 AM  
Blogger Brother James said...

Mother Teresa will be a saint whose life and faith are so antithetical to modern culture that she will be almost incomprehensible. Those who will understand her the most will be those who've already shouldered their crosses to follow Christ.

September 02, 2007 4:24 PM  
Blogger omniscientthefirst said...

TJ,

I caught a few minutes of that on EWTN too.

This morning I went to my first Latin Mass (still formulating my opinion on it) and the priest actually mentioned the whole thing about how the media is not really understanding the whole 'dark night of the soul' concept. Of course he also talked about how it was wonderful how she kept on despite the fact that she wasn't receiving spiritual consolations.

September 02, 2007 8:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis