Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Thursday, November 22, 2007

Nothing Says "Happy Thanksgiving" Better Than The Eucharist!


Greek eucharistia = thanksgiving

The ancient title "Eucharistia" appears in writers as early as Ignatius, Justin Martyr and Irenæus from the second century onward. The Eucharist was later described by Augustine as the Blessed Sacrament of the Altar.

Since the earliest days of the Church, the Eucharist has occupied a central aspect of worship and devotion as evidenced by the writings of the Church Fathers. The book of Acts described it as the " the breaking of the bread." Further on in the NT, St. Paul talks about the Mass in Corinthians and warns the faithful that their very lives could be placed in jeopardy if they partake of the Eucharist in an unworthy fashion, wrong motives, etc. Finally, the book of Revelation is a symbolic representation of the Mass .(See Scott Hahn's The Lamb's Supper)


May God bless you this day as you give thanks for all God's blessings in our lives, and most especially His gift to us of the Eucharist.


4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wishing you and yours a blessed Thanksgiving.

November 22, 2007 10:03 AM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

You and yours too Nancy, I will say a prayer for you tonite. Please do the same for me.

November 22, 2007 10:58 PM  
Blogger Easter Almuena said...

Hi Tiber,
I love the Eucharist! Thank you for this post.

I love the way you write. How about sending your story to Sr. Patricia Proctor for her new book: http://calledbyjoy.blogspot.com/. My story is found in one of her books: 201 Inspirational Stories of the Eucharist.

The greatest glory of God is man fully alive. -St. Ireneaus

Thank you for sharing your life with us!

November 24, 2007 8:03 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

thanks Esther for the kind comments.
I am just happy that someone else can benefit from hearing how God drew me back to the Church. Perhaps I will e mail sister. I loved her video

November 24, 2007 9:03 PM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis