Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Saturday, November 17, 2007

Mary, Untier of Knots



I posted an earlier studio audio version of this song several weeks ago with octave mandolin and bass accompaniment. Here is the "live" Catholic Kitchen Video version. I believe the heart of Mary reflects the heart of the Church. She desires all to live in close relationship with her son, Jesus. I can't imagine that she wouldn't intercede for us as she stands before the throne of God. The Early Church Fathers (Irenaeus) referred to Mary as "the New Eve" who untied the knots of disobedience set into action by the first Eve in the garden. Check out this article by Father Mauriello.

I can assure you I was not worshiping Mary as I sang this song. That would be breaking a major commandment! (Though, I must admit, the graven image of Mary in my backyard caught my eye as I was recording this and I had no small difficulty not laughing when I thought about it!) But I was speaking well of her name, calling her blessed and thus placing myself in the generation of those who call her blessed. Don't you want to be in that generation?

11 Comments:

Blogger Joyful Catholic said...

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU TJ!! I've waited for this for a long time! Now I can play it more easily for my friends at KVSS and elsewhere. We had some trouble now and then with the other website.

I absolutely LOVE this precious song of love from a now 'devoted son' to Our Lady, our Mama Most Holy, (as St. Gerard called Her) I have played this song so many times, and it always makes me well-up with gratitude to Her for bringing us back home, where she's been patiently waiting for all her sons and daughters...to cross the Tiber's sometimes muddy waters and find our Mama waiting, holding out her arms to us. No matter where we were, what we did or how we ignored her, she's a True and Gentle Loving Mama. She's untied many a knot in my heart, and still is busy as I give her more and more of them.

Thank you for sharing your gift with us, TJ. You must make your Mama proud!

susie

November 17, 2007 6:53 PM  
Blogger Joyful Catholic said...

You weren't worshiping Mary? But, TJ, check out the video below from the guy in the beard who thinks he needs to "set us Catholics straight" about our 'worship of Mary.' God bless him, I hope he'll listen to your song and receive light and grace. He doesn't "intend" to tell us we're going to Hell...but he sure does subtly and not so subtly imply that we are. Oh the misinformed leading the misled sure must cause Our Lady sorrow.

November 18, 2007 6:57 AM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

where's the link Susie?

November 18, 2007 10:42 AM  
Blogger Joyful Catholics said...

It's in the little pics of videos below that appear on the screen after listening to your song. You're pictured, a lady is pictured, and this bearded guy, who has "words" for Roman Catholics. I must admit I've not listened to his complete diatribe, but when he starts off with the "Scriptural account of Mary VS the Roman Catholic" well, I rolled my eyes and just replayed your song. I suppose to be fair, I should listen to his "tutorial" and who knows, maybe he converts in the end? Wouldn't that be sweet?

November 18, 2007 11:02 AM  
Blogger Cow Bike Rider said...

Thanks for the song and for the recent links regarding Mary. I appreciate you checking in on my site and offering your conversion experiences. So much to learn but it's truly a fun learning process.

Looking forward too to your appearance next month on the Journey Home. I'll be watching.

God Bless-
Chris

November 18, 2007 10:06 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

Susie,
I listened to his talk. Very sad.
"Lord Jesus, Have mercy on those who unwittingly side with the forces of darkness in lashing out against the Church"

November 19, 2007 8:17 AM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

thanks Chris, pray for us

November 19, 2007 8:17 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That's DADGAD, is it not?

November 20, 2007 2:19 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

Yes Chad, it's DADGAD.
I recorded most of my last CD, scarecrow's lament, with this tuning
and have found you can do a lot with it, including blues, celtic etc.
I used a Martin OM-21 for that video
with an LR Baggs I-beam active pickup(which I realized had a bit too much bass freq. turned up in the mix after it was done)
I have some other tunes in DADGAD(shameless self promotion) here

November 20, 2007 3:21 PM  
Blogger owenswain said...

Just as wonderful as before.

O
luminousmiseries.ca
onionboy.ca

November 24, 2007 8:17 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

thanks owen!

November 24, 2007 9:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis