Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Pope Benedict's Lenten Reflections


We are one week away from Lent, starting with Ash Wednesday, Feb 6th. This is the opportunity the Lord gives His Church to grow closer to Him and to strengthen our interior life. How do we accomplish this? The tried and true method that has never failed and has been used by the Church for 2000 years:
Fasting, Prayer and Almsgiving.*

Who needs Lent? I do! Far be it from me to come up with a better method to grow in grace! Check out Pope Benedict's lenten reflection here.

* a specific way to assist those in need and, at the same time, an exercise in self-denial to free us from attachment to worldly goods.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Adoro said...

I love Lent, too, because I also need it. And this time around, it's going to be brutal; because between my new gym routine (back to the weightlifting...back to 25 lb bicep curls! Really!) and grad school and non-consistent work hours, well...if I'm not a Saint by Easter, then I'm seriously messed up.

Oh, wait...I AM seriously messed up. That human nature thing...yeah.

May I request prayers? Next Tuesday I'm speaking to a mother's group about how to practice Lent with the family. I'm going to start with how ADULTS should be practicing Lent, and then get into how, once they've got their practices down, can better influence their children and make the season meaningful as opposed to painful.

For the record, I do think the "pain" portion is important, but a 6 year old is not going to be able to tolerate that! LOL! No hair shirts for them! :-)

January 30, 2008 9:19 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

Prayers will be said for you Adoro!
God bless your ministry there

January 30, 2008 11:04 PM  
Blogger Joyful Catholic said...

TJ..this is just too flippin' weird! I was going to post on Papa B's Lenten Reflections and Blogger had trouble last night so I wasn't able to do so. Then I swam over to the Tiber and found lo and behold you'd posted it. Thanks, bro! I just now read Papa's reflection. Excellent! He's such a profound thinker/writer and yet so easy to read, to reach common lil' folk like me! =)

I love Lent best of all the liturgical seasons! Not just the fish fries and beer either! ha ha
Fish FRYdays start up next week. YAY. I guess what I should do is NOT eat fish, for I love fish. Maybe I'll put bitter herbs on it, as St Gerard did to his food.

January 31, 2008 7:07 AM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis