Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Saints and Simpletons

"Now many great Christian minds have come to nearly all of the conclusions that the Catholic Church has with the help of the Scriptures, the writings of the Church fathers and the guiding call of the Holy Spirit. But we needn't be smart enough to understand all the doctrines and theology of the Christian faith - we can accept the teachings of the Church based on our faith in Christ and the authority He Himself established on Earth. We can also take comfort in our faith that the Holy Spirit would simply not allow His Church to be so incredibly misleading to the vast majority of all Christians since Christ." (Tim Troutman of GodFearingFiddlerForum)


The Church is truly universal in its appeal, practice and application. The wisest of the wise, St. Thomas Aquinas had to put his pen down when he realized he could no longer articulate the revelation that had been shown to him. Yet the simplest among us can believe and receive Christ in a small host of unleavened bread placed on his tongue. Both saint and simpleton can leave Mass with a tremendous measure of grace regardless of their degree of understanding of the sacred mysteries. Catholicism will always be the religion of the people for that very reason.



3 Comments:

Blogger Joyful Catholic said...

God gave us a Church, a bright diamond on earth, all are welcome the Great and the small. In stature, in intellect. My friend, Delores who goes to Mass at 7 at Boys Town and then at 5:30 p.m. at St Robert Bellarmine with her daughter, Krissy, (who has Down syndrome) tells me how much Christ, in that wafer, means to Krissy. She's a prayer warrior that would put any or I dare say, most of us to shame! She KNOWS Jesus, like no other person I know actually. Thank GOD for leaving us HIS CHURCH. Where we can learn HIS TRUTH, and we are challenged to conform to HER Authority. I think the more 'simple' minded among us are such bright lights to remind us all not to get to haughty with our 'book learnin.' For to be WISE is one thing. Sophisticated...not so good. And I am grateful to God for calling me. I've not one degree behind my name, and used to feel not so great about myself. But in the CC, I'm more at home than ever, because here's where I learned that I can truly aspire and desire and strive, to actually make it to Sainthood...so many saints weren't educated or members of MENSA. YAY, God, talk about an INCLUSIVE Church!

January 24, 2008 6:30 AM  
Blogger Joyful Catholic said...

"Catholicism will always be the religion of the people for that very reason."

AMEN TJ. Of the people and for the people, and most happily, not 'by' the people, but BY JESUS himself! Built BY Jesus ON Peter and so it goes...

My rant is done.

January 24, 2008 6:35 AM  
Blogger teresa_anawim2 said...

Proven in the ministry of Nouwen and Vanier! Ministry to the Anawim.

January 24, 2008 6:03 PM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis