Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Friday, January 25, 2008

Qualities of a Saint

In our desire to grow closer to Christ, we look to the lives of others. We read their stories in hopes of gleaning the "secret" to a devout on-fire life in God. As a protestant, I read stories of missionaries and Foxe's Book of Martyrs (a historically inaccurate anti-Catholic tome). I even read Brother Lawrence's Practicing the Presence of God somehow getting over the fact that he was Ca... Cath...Catholic.(though he wasn't a canonized saint) It actually was one of my favorite devotional books from the time I was 17 years old.
What I realize now when I read about the lives of the saints there were certain characteristics they all shared. Interestingly, most of them too read about the lives of the saints before them. Scripture is full of references pointing to the fact that we are to emulate human models of holiness.
St. Paul's letters to Timothy are a great example of this.

Here's my quick list of characteristics of Saints. Would that I had some of these qualities.

1) Passion for Jesus in the Eucharist
2) Embracing physical/mental suffering (many saints had chronic medical illnesses)
3) Unfailing support and love of the Church and Peter's successors.
4) Faith that transcends the 'dark night of the soul.'
5) Heroic virtue
6) Untiring love and service for the poor and the sick
7) Detachment to the things of the world and willingness to embrace martyrdom
8) Lack of broadband access!

3 Comments:

Blogger Joyful Catholic said...

As Ronald Reagan would say..."Well,TJ, there you go again." Only I mean it in this way, "here we go again." Once more,we're on the 'same page.'

I just posted about a great book to give us (well me for sure) a lot of hope. Teresa was amazed and asked if it was a real book! Well, yes it is, and I'm going to get it soon. The interview with the author is great, too, and I also have that linked.

Yes, we are to imitate and aspire to become like the saints we admire for their holiness, or as holy as we can become, that others maybe become even holier...(litany of humility.) I have been "chased down" most recently by St. Gerard. Talk about a holy man!~ It's not one to leave us despairing, but so HOPEful, he's a POWERFUL intercessor as many know, but not just for pregnant moms...maybe even those of us "pregnant" with a zeal to give birth to virtues...such as HOPE, CHARITY...Patience. You name it, he'll help you!

Great post TJ...see ya.

January 26, 2008 5:16 AM  
Blogger Joyful Catholic said...

8) Lack of broadband access!
:-) GOOD ONE TJ...

What a penance! What a thing to offer up for Lent?! 40 days without blogging?! Maybe I should consider that, and go to Adoration a few more hours a week. Wonder what would happen to my life. You know, I'm thinking I might just have to do that. St Gerard might just be tapping me on the shoulder to do that, too. I'm getting that "Holy Spirit nudge" that "shove of the Dove"...

January 26, 2008 5:25 AM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

40 days without blogging, yes maybe we would all grow in holiness!
I haven't gotten the book about catholics and the internet because they sent me the wrong book, but when I do I will let you know if it's good.
God bless

January 27, 2008 9:05 AM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis