Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Monday, April 30, 2012

Southern Baptist Seminarian Comes Home

Devin Rose posts a letter from a friend who has just converted to the Catholic faith. It is an excellent read.

"Ultimately it was questions about church history and the Bible that caused me to withdraw from the seminary three weeks later. As I read my Church History I textbooks and Martin Luther biography, I was struck by how novel many of my Baptist beliefs were. Throughout the early church and even during the Reformation I learned that issues like baptism and communion were extremely important. Yet for me they had always been “open-handed” issues. After all, communion was simply eating bread and grape juice every now and then to remember Christ.  Strictly speaking, baptism was not necessary for salvation and was simply a symbol demonstrated after someone had gotten “saved.” Not only did these views contradict church history but, increasingly, they did not match with uncomfortable Bible passages I had always shrugged off (cf  John 6, Rom 6)."

6 Comments:

Blogger Bekah said...

I wonder what accounts for the reasons why people like this fellow and you and I read this material and see that obviously the protestant Reformation was wrong and novel, but so many other protestants (my family being some) just don't see anything to it? It's not just obstinacy. There is a blindness. And these individuals are otherwise faithful, faith-filled, people.

April 30, 2012 8:42 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

I think it's definitely spiritual. When you think about it, what would Satan want more than anything to see, since he already failed at trying to kill our Lord? He would attack the divine institution He instituted, the Church.It is no surprise that the Church Christ started is caricatured, mythologized and its doctrines distorted and "straw-mannned."
Yet the heroic virtue and faith of 2000 years of saints, the profound positive effect that Catholicism has had on civilization, its unflinching pro-life stance is never mentioned or even acknowledged. All they can say is, "it's a works-based religion and they worship Mary!" Yikes!

April 30, 2012 9:39 PM  
Blogger kkollwitz said...

People don't like having to be subject to an earthly authority.

May 01, 2012 8:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Russ, You are so right. And if Christ is truly present in the Eucharist, Satan would do everything he can to keep people away from it. Julie

May 02, 2012 8:36 AM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

Absolutely Julie! No surprise that of all Catholic doctrines, there is probably more opposition and arguments against it than others. Even JAck T Chick made a tract called "The Death Cookie," which was a vile attempt to attack the Eucharist.

May 02, 2012 8:42 AM  
Blogger kkollwitz said...

We used to study The Death Cookie when I taught RCIA.

May 02, 2012 11:26 AM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis