Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Tuesday, April 02, 2013

Emphasizing Holy Week

After almost 10 years of being Catholic and 9 Lents as a revert to the faith, it dawned on me on Passion Sunday (Palm Sunday) why the Church really emphasizes the importance of holy week. (Yes, I know, I am a slow learner!)  The priest reminded us in his homily that this week we have the opportunity to reflect on Christ's passion, death and resurrection FOR OUR SINS, and pray that God uses the liturgies and devotions of this week to bring us closer to Him.  The Church has been encouraging the faithful for 2000 years to pay extra-special attention to the story of our salvation this week. It gives me chills to think that I am given the opportunity to participate in all the events of Holy Week and walk together again with Jesus Christ, the Blessed Virgin Mary and the apostles. Why do we do this? For only one reason- to bring us closer to Christ and bring others with us to heaven. That's what the gospel is all about:  "Salvátor mundi, salva nos, qui per crucem et resurrectiónem tuam liberásti nos." 
    
       "Save us, Savior of the world, for by your Cross and Resurrection, you have set us free.”    
                                                 (Memorial Acclamation, concluding the Eucharistic prayer)



2 Comments:

Blogger Christina said...

Isn't it so wonderful though, being forced to confront our sin as an annual observance? After just two Lenten seasons back in the Church, I am in awe of how the Lenten season (and especially Holy Week) bring me nose to nose with my sin. Who could ever leave a Holy Thursday mass without feeling convicted and humbled by the silent, empty tabernacle? Sometimes life gets busy and we "forget" about the awesome price Christ paid for our salvation. Holy Week brings that busyness to a screeching halt and forces us to remember.

April 02, 2013 11:21 PM  
Anonymous susie melkus said...

I'm a slow learner too, but better to be a slow learner than to never learn or want to learn. And Catholics celebrate Easter in an OCTAVE! Not just a one day celebration for the AMAZING RESURRECTION of JESUS for us!!! :D

April 03, 2013 5:39 AM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis