Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Monday, May 22, 2006

The Bible and Catholics


At the funeral Mass of the late John Paul 2, there was a large thin book that was placed on his coffin as it was layed out in the morning Roman breeze. The wind opened the pages of the book as if an invisible hand was trying to find the right page. I wondered what the book was until the announcer explained that it was the Gospel of John. Later on during the Mass , the presiding priest carried another book, laden with gold, over his head and in front of him, up to the podium. He then bent over reverently kissing this book before he read it. Yes, it too was the Bible. So I started thinking to myself, why would this church that hates the Bible so much treat it with such reverence and have it placed so prominently in the funeral service of the leader of their church? In Mass yesterday morning, I estimated that about 25 percent of my time in Mass was spent listening to Scriptures from Acts, Psalms and the Gospel of John. If you attend Mass daily as many Catholics do, you will have read through the Bible in three years! I always thought the Catholics didn't read the Bible nor consider it important. I was wrong. An old Catholic guy from the 5th century said: "Ignorance of Scripture is ignorance of Christ" St Jerome.
http://www.davidmacd.com/catholic/bible_catholics.htm
http://www.catholicapologetics.net/apolo_20.htm

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis