Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Thursday, January 04, 2007

Incredibly Shameless Self Promotion

Many of you may be wondering what a hammer dulcimer is and what it sounds like.
Well, here it is.

6 Comments:

Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

What does this have to do with Crossing the Tiber? What can possibly be the Catholic connection here?

January 04, 2007 10:54 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

Glad you asked Tiber! It's not necessarily Catholic but it is a Christian connection. I composed that tune about 12 years ago to be performed at the baby dedication of
an irish lad at my old evangelical church. we didn't babptize babies! I recently asked the father of this young man who is now 12 if he has been baptized and thankfully his dad said yes!

Whenever I play the hammer dulcimer I imagine that each note is a prayer that goes up to heaven . I sometimes think that it is such a beautiful instrument that surely God is glorified by it's sound and I give Him all the credit for gifting me with the ability to learn to play it. The Tibetan's have a prayer wheel they spin as they walk by that says prayers for them. Well, this isn't that , but surely nearly a thousand notes are played in one short song and I like to imagine that each note is a praise to the Lord.
When this tune was recorded, I was playing live on a radio station in northern Jersey and was praying like crazy that I wouldn't hit a bad note!

January 04, 2007 11:03 PM  
Blogger Pilgrimsarbour said...

Doesn't sound familiar...gloves, remember?

January 05, 2007 1:55 AM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

That' s why I never do cover tunes!
I live in fear that someone won't recognize what tune it is!

January 05, 2007 7:59 AM  
Blogger Pilgrimsarbour said...

Just kidding, Bro! Like I wouldn't recognise your opening tune at every performance I've been to?

January 05, 2007 6:35 PM  
Blogger Pilgrimsarbour said...

Oh wait...maybe it's Jacob's Ladder...aw, I forget.

January 05, 2007 7:29 PM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis