Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Seeker's Meeting

Tonite we hosted another Seeker's Meeting. Our topic was "How Do Ex-evangelicals, Now Catholic Approach Mary?" We started with Scripture in Genesis , and all references to Mary as the New Eve, the New Ark of the Covenant and finished with Rev 12 (Queen of Heaven) references. We discussed the Council of Ephesus, Theotokos, Immaculate Conception, etc. Our non-Catholic friend listened, asked good questions and asked how to pray the rosary. We gave her a rosary along with a nice chat about the mysteries (Gospel events that one visualizes while praying) and we said goodbye.
My wife and I were very blessed by her openness and were happy to dispel some of the myths regarding Marian devotion. It is so enjoyable to have the opportunity to discuss the beautiful truths of the Church. Even if only one person shows up!
As an addendum, our friend asked why Catholics still show Christ suffering on the Cross. This lead to a nice talk about how we preach Christ crucified like St. Paul. Prodigal Daughter then gave a nice explanation for the redemptive value of suffering based on Col 1:24. A good time was had by all.

4 Comments:

Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

Family members are hard. I have found it much easier with non-family folks strangely enough. I think my family views me as backslidden or "running away" from God as one put it, so when we have family gatherings, we never talk about spiritual issues anymore!
Which is very sad.

January 10, 2007 7:36 AM  
Blogger Amber said...

I LOVE this Seeker Group idea... and want to know more about it. How do you tell people about it, etc?

I am a part of a Protestant Bible study that I was going to before I examined Catholicism. They know I'm becoming a Catholic but unless they ask questions, I'm not able to say much because I'm on their "turf". But I love the idea of inviting people to my house to allow people to ask questions and learn from a Catholic perspective!

Also, I heard a GREAT quote by Fulton J. Sheen:

Keep your eyes on the crucifix,
for Jesus without the cross
is a man without a mission,
and the cross without Jesus
is a burden without a reliever.

January 10, 2007 2:00 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

Amber, first we obtained approval through our local parish to enlist their support, and to also make it known we weren't competing with RCIA or attempting to be a para-church group.
We next put fliers in our local Catholic/christian bookstore as well as in the diocese newspaper. We posted a note in our parish and spread the word on the e mail lists to any of our local friends who were interested. We joined the CHN(Coming Home Network) and let them know what we were doing.They send a monthly newsletter for a 35 dollar donation.
We then had a kick off meeting with a picnic, some music by yours truly, and had our friends a priest who is also a Wheaton college grad and convert come to our first meeting.
We make it very clear it is not initiation into the church, but a group to seek, ask questions and learn in a non committal, non threatening way about Catholicism.
The group has been very small but once a month we plug along. I never had anyone explain the faith to me in 3o years of evangelical life and I will make sure I dont' keep silent about the Truth of the Church for the next 30 years, though my genetics don't bode that well LOL!
Feel free to e mail or ask any other questions. You would be excellent to lead a seekers group!

January 10, 2007 10:57 PM  
Blogger Amber said...

Can you e-mail me? I have more questions but don't know where to find your e-mail...

January 11, 2007 1:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis