Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Thursday, April 19, 2007

"The Real Presence"



Pilgrimsarbour reminds me in his comment on a recent post that a lot of my writing (and podcasting now) seems to come back to the Eucharist. Come to think of it, he's right!
Susie from ReCon had a nice post about the term Real Presence. Dwight Longenecker, the author of the piece warns that real presence originally came from an Anglican source and does not convey the Catholic belief that Christ is truly present in the Eucharist, body, soul and divinity.
What struck me in the article was that the Eucharistic doctrine of Catholicism continues the very important incarnation, God's intrusion into our world. From the very beginning of Christianity, Jesus birth, life, death and resurrection informs the world that God is here with us in a very real sense and continues to use the material world to bring his grace.
The Eucharist is not a novel concept but continues to promote the incarnational aspect of Christianity. The same God that has the power to come to earth as a man, continues to come to us in the appearances of bread and wine yet is truly the substance of Jesus; body, soul and divinity. Yes, it definitely takes faith to accept this.
Thomas Aquinas, said this :

"I answer that, The presence of Christ's true body and blood in this sacrament cannot be detected by sense, nor understanding, but by faith alone, which rests upon Divine authority. Hence, on Lk. 22:19: "This is My body which shall be delivered up for you," Cyril says: "Doubt not whether this be true; but take rather the Saviour's words with faith; for since He is the Truth, He lieth not."
Theo said...

Tiber Jumper wrote in part...
"The same God that has the power to come to earth as a man, continues to come to us in the appearances of bread and wine yet is truly the substance of Jesus; body, soul and divinity. Yes, it definitely takes faith to accept this."

I comment...
Well said, Tiber! You remind me of a conversation I had some thirty years ago with a very good Calvinist friend. He considered me to be some sort of anomaly: a "Christian Catholic;" whereas I described myself as a "Catholic Christian" which I considered no more anomalous than "Reformed Christian" or "Evangelical Christian."

Though he accepted my Christianity as genuine, he was dismayed by my persistent belief in transubstantiation. "Do you honestly believe," he would ask me, "that Almighty God could change store-bought bread and store-bought wine into Himself?" (I don't know why he felt "store-bought" somehow made the notion even less believable.)

My reply was , "Do *you* honestly believe that Almighty God could not?"

With humble prayers,
--Theo


5 Comments:

Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

paramedicgirl said...

The Real Presence is the real difference between Catholicism and other Christian faiths. Have you ever heard this story?

A Protestant was visiting a Catholic church accompanied by his Catholic friend, and after entering, he was admiring the beauty of the architecture and decorations. He was particularly impressed with the altar and the tabernacle on top which was surrounded by angels and many candles. He asked his Catholic friend, "And what's in that box there on the table?" The Catholic replied, "Jesus Christ himself is really present in that box. Our faith tells us that." There was stunned silence. Finally the Protestant said, "If I believed that, I would crawl down this aisle on my knees!"

Yes, it's the real difference.

April 19, 2007 3:36 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

my apologies to paramedic girl.
I reposted this and lost the original comments except for theo's hence yours looks like it's from me. Sorry, I'm technologically impaired.
I have heard this story from Father Corapi and I heard that the person was a pastor and a few short years later he entered the Church.
Would that we all display such reverence towards our Lord and God!

April 19, 2007 3:44 PM  
Blogger Jeffrey Pinyan said...

Jesus took with him Peter and James and John his brother, and led them up a high mountain apart. And he was transfigured before them, and his face shone like the sun, and his garments became white as light. (Matt 17:1-2)

April 20, 2007 11:42 AM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

Yeah, if God could do that, why not the Eucharist!
Good point

April 20, 2007 6:33 PM  
Blogger Joyful Catholic said...

Exactly, TJ...why not the Eucharist? My favorite line from RUDY, (paraphrased) Priest to Rudy: "Well, son, in all my 30 plus years in the priesthood, I've come to learn and understand only one thing...God is God and I'm not!"

But sure does seem that a lot of folk think they are!

Many Protestants, or Evangelicals or Fundamentalists take the bible literally EXCEPT where JESUS SAYS EMPHATICALLY "...THIS IS MY BODY" "...THIS IS THE CUP OF MY BLOOD"....and many turned and left Him...

So...Bill Clinton wasn't the only one to parse the word "is" was he?

Those same dear and good folks, God love 'em all, still remain convinced and say, "Jesus didn't mean that literally!" Well, those who left when he said it 4 times in JOHN 6 obviously KNEW what He said and what He meant for it was too hard a saying for them, also!

It was too hard a saying for me at one time but THANK GOD, no longer is it a hard saying but the BEST WORDS I've ever heard...for they are TRUE FOOD AND TRUE DRINK AND LIFE FOR ME....JESUS HIMSELF, BODY BLOOD SOUL AND DIVINITY! Alleluia!

susie

April 20, 2007 9:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis