Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Thursday, May 31, 2007

Thomas Howard on Genuflection


Thomas Howard wrote On Being Catholic in 1997. I just started reading it last night and took this from his section on genuflection. He is able to articulate the way Catholics embody the physical in their faith and worship better than I could, and believe me, I have been trying throughout this blog!

"The eternal . . . attires itself in the routine, the inauspicious, the anonymous. It does this because it reserves itself (it is so holy) for the pure eye of faith . . . The eye of faith alone can pierce the surface and see Reality. That is why Catholics genuflect when they come to church. They know that this is a holy place, and to be found on one's knee is a very good posture in such precincts. It says, ceremonially, not verbally, "I am a creature, and thou art my Creator. I am thy child and thou art my Father. I am a subject and thou art my Sovereign. And alas, I am a sinner, and thou art holy" . . . A Catholic has difficulty in grasping what it is that non-Catholics espouse that precludes this act. Surely we are not mere minds? Surely all of us bring physical gesture to bear on all situations (a wave, a nod, a kiss). Why is the physical excluded here? Surely to exclude it here and here alone is to imply a gnostic (disembodied), not a Christian (incarnational) state of affairs?"

4 Comments:

Blogger JP said...

I like that. You know, I have had that book sitting in my library for years now. I should maybe bump that up a few spots on my "next to read" list.

Boy, your story sounds quite similar to mine.

I was born and raised a Roman Catholic, fell away, born again, progressive faith and now....stuck in the middle not sure where I am to go.

May 31, 2007 10:02 AM  
Blogger Amber said...

Well-said indeed!

May 31, 2007 11:34 AM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

JP:
Thanks for reading my blog. I will pray for you that God will show you where to go.If you ever have questions, thoughts, whatever, please feel free to e mail/or comment.

You may want to give a listen to the podcasts to get a sense of how the eucharist and confession have really brought us much closer to Jesus than we could have ever imagined.
I daily live with the sense of joy, discovery and peace having returned to the faith of my youth.
God bless

May 31, 2007 12:00 PM  
Blogger MMajor Fan said...

Interesting. Thanks for posting. For a while I've dedicated my nightly prayers on behalf of those too proud to pray, and kneel on behalf of those too proud to bend.

May 31, 2007 10:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis