Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Sunday, September 02, 2007

Snippets from Thomas a Kempis


The Imitation of Christ is the second most popular book in the world. The writings of Thomas a Kempis are read and appreciated by Christians regardless of denomination. John Wesley listed it as a book that was instrumental in his conversion and A.W. Tozer quotes from it in his writings. In particular, the sections on the Eucharist are excellent for fanning the flames of Eucharistic devotion. I read it years ago before my conversion and can't recall what I thought of the Eucharistic chapters. It takes about six and a half minutes of reading to realize that this guy really believed Jesus really is present in the Eucharist and the key to a vibrant spiritual life is found in the Blessed Sacrament. I am going to be posting some quotes from the Imitation focusing on his Eucharistic chapters. The 7 Secrets of the Eucharist inspired me to go back and read the Imitation.

"I pray for this, I desire this, that I may be completely united to You and may withdraw my heart from all created things, learning to relish the celestial and the eternal through Holy Communion and the frequent celebration of Mass."

Lord Jesus, inspire all of us to relish you in the Eucharist. Transform us by your grace received
with each reception of your precious body and blood. In the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, Amen.

1 Comments:

Blogger Joyful Catholics said...

I started reading the Imitation of Mary by same, just before leaving for Rome, and on the plane, but haven't finished. Sometimes it seem things take me a while to read. I ponder certain things a long while with some books and get distracted, too, by...well, blogging.

Blogging Molly

September 02, 2007 1:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis