Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Friday, November 30, 2007

Where The Bishop Is...


In 107 AD, St. Ignatius on his way to martyrdom wrote, "Where the bishop is present, there is the Catholic Church" (Letter To the Smyrnaeans 8:2).

In the small town of Kilfenora in County Clare, the remains of a cathedral built in the 12th century still stand. It was built at the site of a 6th century monastery founded by St. Fachtna. The bishop's likeness was carved from stone and placed in the cathedral about 9oo years ago, a timeless reminder of Ignatius words from the 2nd century.

2 Comments:

Blogger Joyful Catholic said...

Incredible! Fr. Shane was telling us last night at Mass about St Andrews i Scotland and how extremely huge that cathedral was (an aside: of course St Andrew had nothing to do with golf)and how it was the oldest in that country or that area. How I LOVE Holy Mother Church and our Church fathers and our faith! Ain't it grand to be Home and Catholic?!

PAX,
susie

December 01, 2007 4:45 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

As I walked among the ruins of this ancient Church, Ignatius words kept coming to me when I saw how they honored their bishop and how important to the faithful he must have been.
You haven't lived until you've heard the Our Father sung/prayed in Gaelic! I didn't know the language, but wasn't "lost" in Mass because of the universality of the Church and how the Eucharist is celebrated similarly throughout the world. It gave me chills.

December 01, 2007 4:53 PM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis