Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Monday, June 23, 2008

Favorite Bands When I Was Young


Kim tagged me with this one.
5 of my favorite bands and their albums from when I was young. Hmm... This is gonna be tough since I smashed all my records a few years after I was born again. (In reality, I never had very many albums because I was financially-challenged growing up)
The new fellowship I joined was a bit extreme, and in retrospect, I think we were almost a cult! We were part of that discipleship movement in the early 70's that placed submission to leadership as a priority in your spiritual walk. We used to hear "you are out of submission" so often that we made a joke of it. Well if we are "out of submission", we better go buy some, but I digress.... One night we had an "Old Life Night" and we were supposed to bring all the stuff from our old life we hadn't yet parted with. The vinyl LP's didn't really smash, they kinda just bent when you tried to break them in half. This is what I remember throwing in the pile and bending up.

Jethro Tull: Aqualung (the imagery, the whistling into the flute as Ian played)
Black Sabbath: Master of Reality (absolute crap, but I loved the fuzzed out guitar riffs)
Creedence Clearwater Revival: Cosmos Factory (Now how could Creedence be satanic I ask you?)
Bob Dylan- Blood on the Tracks (one of his best albums in my opinion and I sincerely regret getting rid of this gem.)

Fav Albums I didn't smash because they were my older brother's
Iron Butterfly-Ina Gadda Da Vita
Led Zeppelin's first album.

It wasn't until I went to college in 1976, and met other real Christians who could appreciate contemporary music without guilt or reproach, that I loosened up a bit. I got into acoustic music and the rest is history.
I tag Susie from Recon and PA from Porter's Lodge (he saw me go through some of the above craziness)

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Pilgrimsarbour said...

Well I hope we can continue to support each other as we continue to go through our respective crazinesses until He calls us home!

June 23, 2008 12:00 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

Amen!
BTW, I think I finally got rid of the alan parsons albums you gave me when I no longer had a turn table to play vinyl. Sorry bout that.

June 23, 2008 4:03 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

Thanks TJ. I figured yours would be an interesting post. ;) I did the same thing as a new Christian. Did it on my own, though. My hubby wouldn't destroy his (we had a huge collection and separated them out after I declared I was going into destructo mode. He still has his in boxes in our garage. How much you wanna bet they're all warped? lol

Thanks for playing!

June 23, 2008 6:00 PM  
Blogger JP said...

"I smashed all my records a few years after I was born again."


Oh my, I do not mean to laugh but I did the exact same thing a few years back for the very same reason. I now sit back and go "Man, did I really throw that out??" Some albums are simply not replaceable

June 23, 2008 9:28 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

Kim and JP:
I figure somehow God honored our getting rid of the albums because hopefully we did it out of a desire to please him and "put away the unclean thing" even if after time and wisdom we realize, the music itself wasn't unclean but our attachment to it.
Besides, Like Larry Norman always said "why should the devil have all the good music?"

June 23, 2008 10:32 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

I know it was right for me at the time. I needed to let go of my past, put away the unclean thing, as you said. Maturity hadn't yet happened. But I sometimes think I accept too much now for my own good. Always the balancing act, eh?

June 23, 2008 10:36 PM  
Blogger JP said...

That is an interesting and postive way of looking at it. Thanks Tiber.

June 24, 2008 12:32 PM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis