Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Monday, October 04, 2010

"Shower of Roses" at the Carmelite Monastery, Allentown, PA

This past Sunday the cloistered Carmelite nuns of Allentown had their annual, "Shower of Roses"  on the feast weekend of St Therese. They do this to honor her and give everyone an opportunity to venerate her relic and participate in the benediction.
The monastery chapel was packed to overflowing and they needed the local fire police to direct traffic and parking.  Monsignor Kuhns of the Allentown diocese, spiritual director for the nuns, gave a wonderful homily regarding the "little way" of St. Therese and how we are all invited to participate in it.
   Why do Catholics get so enthusiastic about an obscure cloistered nun from Normandy France who died over 100 years ago at 24 years of age?  Because she showed us how to grow in holiness in the most simple fashion. To offer up our daily sufferings and disappointments all for the love of God.

"Love proves itself by deeds, so how am I to show my love? Great deeds are forbidden me. The only way I can prove my love is by scattering flowers and these flowers are every little sacrifice, every glance and word, and the doing of the least actions for love."

So this obscure nun who died of tuberculosis at 24 years of age showed the world how to love God in the most simple and ordinary ways. Though she never traveled outside the convent, her writings have been spread throughout the world and she was canonized less than 30 years after her death.  She has been declared a Doctor of the Church for her insight and wisdom and joins the company of the likes of Sts. Augustine and Aquinas.

We Catholics don't worship St Therese but many of us have a special place in our hearts because she shows us how we too can grow in holiness and love for Jesus in her "little way." Not only is she a role model, we know that she is available to pray for us as well. One of the last things she said was "I want to spend my heaven doing good on earth."     She certainly is keeping her word!

2 Comments:

Blogger Deborah said...

She also said "The whole world will love me." How did she know that?

October 04, 2010 8:20 PM  
Blogger Shirley said...

It took me a long time to be able to read The Story of a Soul; a long time to understand this Saint. Now I love her "Little Way" and practice it as a means of helping the Holy Souls in Purgatory.

October 04, 2010 10:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis