Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Monday, May 14, 2012

What Has Solo Scriptura Done For You Lately?

First let's define Sola Scriptura:  "The whole counsel of God, concerning all things necessary for His own glory, man’s salvation, faith, and life, is either expressly set down in Scripture, or by good and necessary consequence may be deduced from Scripture: unto which nothing at any time is to be added, whether by new revelations of the Spirit, or traditions of men." (Westminster Confession)


Now let me share what the doctrine of Sola Scriptura did for me.

  • It  allowed me to ignore the truth and wisdom in the writings of 2000 years of godly Christians called saints, including Augustine and Aquinas. (Including all creeds, councils and papal encyclicals)
  • It  freed me from the burden of learning the historical roots of my faith thereby allowing me to ignore 1500 years of the Holy Spirit's working in the lives of men.
  • It  empowered me to personally deduce which scriptures should be interpreted literally and which should be taken symbolically. For example, "of course God created the world in 6 DAYS, but no, He absolutely didn't mean this verse literally when He said. "Take and eat, this is my body.'
  • It permitted me to ignore the possibility that God's grace can be obtained from the sacraments because they weren't mentioned specifically in the bible.
  • It helped me to define the meaning and purpose of human sexuality in marriage and freed me to ignore the 1,930 years of prohibition of contraception(in all Christian denominations, as a matter of fact). If a particular sexual act was not specifically prohibited in the bible, I was empowered to "use my imagination"  since "the marriage bed  is undefiled."(Heb 13:4)
  • It gave me the impetus to shop around for churches until I found the one that most agreed with my personal interpretation of Holy Scripture. I was then empowered to leave said church if I believed that the pastor's interpretation of Holy Scripture no longer agreed with mine.
  • Finally and most importantly, it freed me from the "burden" of remaining in communion with the Church that can be historically traced to Christ and his apostles.
So my dear readers, what has Sola Scriptura done for YOU lately?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gee, what did it do for me as a non-Catholic? It enabled me to debate with other non-Catholics, question my ministers, claim infallible interpretations, divide the body of Christ even further, etc. etc. Basically, the opposite of what being Catholic means: unified.

Pat

May 15, 2012 8:28 PM  
Anonymous Renee Lin said...

Sola Scriptura gave me the freedom to "lean on my own understanding" of "what this Bible verse means to me," while remaining firmly convinced that everything I believed and practiced came straight from Scripture.

Fantastic post!

May 16, 2012 6:15 PM  
Blogger Deborah said...

"Almost every heresy that has disturbed the unity of the Church has been advocated by men who appealed to Scripture in confirmation of the doctrines they taught." Rev James Dodds, Protestant theologian.

May 17, 2012 9:04 AM  
Blogger kkollwitz said...

It has provided some of us Southerners with neighbors who handle snakes.

Does anyone out Sola-Scriptura snake-handlers?

May 22, 2012 10:04 AM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis