Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Tuesday, September 04, 2007

More from Thomas a Kempis

"I feel there are especially necessary for me in this life two things without which its miseries would be unbearable. Confined here in this prison of the body I confess I need these two, food and light. Therefore, You have given me in my weakness Your sacred Flesh to refresh my soul and body, and You have set Your word as the guiding light for my feet. Without them I could not live aright, for the word of God is the light of my soul and Your Sacrament is the Bread of Life.

These also may be called the two tables, one here, one there, in the treasure house of holy Church. One is the table of the holy altar, having the holy Bread that is the precious Body of Christ. The other is the table of divine law, containing holy doctrine that teaches all the true faith and firmly leads them within the veil, the Holy of holies.

Thanks to You, Lord Jesus, Light of eternal light, for the table of Your holy teaching which You have prepared for us by Your servants, the prophets and Apostles and other learned men."

5 Comments:

Blogger Brother James said...

Whenever I need an attitude adjustment, I turn to the "Imitation of Christ". Thanks for the post T.J., maybe there's a "quote of the day" from á Kempis somewhere.

September 04, 2007 1:53 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

yes, st jimbob, he was amazing.
I wonder why he never was beatified?

September 04, 2007 3:36 PM  
Blogger Joyful Catholic said...

How does one go about getting that beatification started?

Hi TJ...I'm out at the Holy Family Shrine. Slow afternoon.

We had a lovely group from Brookstone assisted living here for about an hour. I helped wheel some of the ladies, and visited with them and one sang for us. So sweet. Great place to come once a week. I wish I could be here more often! A group of Brothers of St John Princeville Illinois were here this a.m. but I wasn't...darn.

I missed the group of Buddhist monks that were here last year, too. Their visas had expired and I think they were here for spiritual reinforcement! : )

PAX,
susie

September 04, 2007 4:56 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

at the shrine, eh? It is so beautiful there.

I think you need some miracles attributed to your intercession before or after death. Maybe Thomas didn't have any attributed to him?

September 05, 2007 7:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thomas a Kempis is a saint in the Anglican Church.

Pat

October 15, 2007 1:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis