Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Saturday, December 08, 2007

Window in Heaven

I wrote this song in 1997 and recorded it on my Acoustic Minstrel CD.
It describes the night that Christ was born from the perspective of a young boy who sensed that this was not an average winter's night. Now being Catholic, I realize that upon Mary's conception, a "window was opened in heaven" as well making her full of grace.

On the evening of the Feast of the Immaculate Conception* let us contemplate a God who can do anything. Even preserve Mary from the stain of original sin. How could He do that if Christ didn't yet die on the Cross? God works outside of time, and best I can tell, is not limited by our linear view of time and space. Can the God who created Heaven and earth not have the ability to preserve the mother of God, a mere mortal from sin? Does this teaching of our Church elevate Mary to a divine state? No, not at all. This teaching exalts Christ and reminds us of His divinity.

So in honor of this feast, feel free to download this Christmas song. God bless.

*The Immaculate Conception was the conception of Mary without original sin. (sin macula, latin without spot) Unfortunately many folks misunderstand it to be the Virgin Birth.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I follow this blog with curious interest since you featured a friend of mine converted to Catholism after being a Protestant his whole life.

While I see so many ways that we agree and grieve the 'split' in God's Family, I can not see where in Scripture it teaches that Mary was kept from the stain of original sin. That is the core issue with the Catholic Church - the habit of adding to the Word of God things that are not there. It appears as though the Church is misusing Scripture or putting man above the Word. It is tragic. There would never have been Reformation and the Church could be in the unity Jesus called for if the Church hadn't strayed from the Scriptures and set up laws of men that contradicted the Word.

Mary was chosen because her loved God, not because God had kept her from sin. She would then be a god and Jesus would not be the Son of Man. His being born of a human like us is what the miracle of the incarnation - Immanuel - God with US - is all about.

At any rate, Merry Christmas, since we both celebrate His birth to Mary this month, and His life which became a ransom for our salvation. Indeed, He is the only way to salvation. Mary was merely His earthly mother. Though blessed of all women she remains! She received the highest honor of all ages!

December 09, 2007 7:20 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

Thanks for your comment. Yes I grieve the division. Christ prayed that we would be one.

"That is the core issue with the Catholic Church - the habit of adding to the Word of God things that are not there."
My friend, as Catholics we believe that there is no doctrine of Catholicism that would ever contradict Scripture, but we believe the whole Word of God is what we called sacred tradition as well as Scripture. There is no Scripture that says that only the Scripture should be our guide, but we can leave that debate for another day.
At any rate, Merry Christmas to you as well and we both agree that God did a marvelous thing in choosing Mary, a mere mortal to bring us the Incarnation, our redeemer and Lord. God bless and check out my song Untier of Knots a few posts ago.

December 09, 2007 10:31 PM  
Blogger Joyful Catholic said...

Beautiful TJ...when are you going to be on EWTN's Backstage?

December 10, 2007 7:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tiber - you still on EWTN tonight?

December 10, 2007 9:47 AM  
Blogger Pilgrimsarbour said...

Hey Guys,

You did great on The Journey Home! That was the best explanation of your respective testimonies that I've heard yet. You both looked great and delivered a very powerful personal witness to your own journeys of faith. I even taped it on my old-fashioned VCR!

Thanks for taking the time to do that. I'm sure many will be encouraged and strengthened to loving Christ more fervently, from whatever communion they may be in.

May God richly bless you as you continue to serve Him.

All God's Best and my love to you,

Tim

December 10, 2007 8:38 PM  
Blogger MMajor Fan said...

The song is beautiful, and I appreciate being able to download it.

I enjoyed seeing you both on JH!

December 11, 2007 4:56 AM  
Blogger owenswain said...

Off topic but...I just went to EWTN, The Journey Home Network and downloaded the edition (Mon. Dec.10.2007) of the show you and your wife were on. I am grateful that even though all we have is a pair of busted rabbit ears and an old TV (that I watch less than one hour a month) I was able to view JHN online and to see the excellent job you two did in sharing your story. Gentleness and grace fill your story and your souls. May many be blessed by it.

O onionboy.ca {arts & fath} luminousmiseries.ca {faith & art}

December 11, 2007 10:31 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

thanks PA for your charity!
Hey MMF, longtime no hear. Thanks so much.
Yeah Tim,we are/were on
Hey Onion Boy, thanks for watching, when are you going to be on The Journey home Canada?
Susie:
I am working on my new Album. I will send it down to Backstage when its done and we'll see.

December 12, 2007 10:47 PM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis