Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Thursday, May 31, 2007

He Could No Longer Explain Why He Wasn’t Catholic


Here's Tim Drake's interview with Dr. Beckwith. I could relate to a lot of what he said regarding his upbringing in the Church during the 60's and 70's. Still, there are many other "cradle Catholics" who held to the faith and didn't jump ship because of kumbayaism. Those of us who left in the 70's, I suspect, didn't believe or know Jesus was there, really present at the altar. (I don't know what I was thinking when the priest held up the Sacred Host and said, "This is Jesus, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sins of the world!) If I truly believed as a 14 year old in 1973 that Jesus was present in the Mass, no amount of bible study, warm fellowship, Chick Tracts or exciting contemporary praise and worship services could have dragged me away. I simply was not believing, not interested or both. No matter how watered down the homilies were, or the singing vapid, Christ was still made present in the Mass in the breaking of the bread. I just didn't see Him because I wasn't looking for Him.
(Just thought I'd point out, I think that Hm chord in the music above is supposed to be Bm. Now that I think of it, maybe that's why I left the Church after all....too many Hm chords I played in the folk Mass)

5 Comments:

Blogger MMajor Fan said...

The kumbayaism was so bad that I was thrilled beyond belief when "Jesus Is Just Alright With Me" came out lol (either version, Byrds or Doobies). Not that I ever heard that in church but at least it was kumbayaism with a great hook.

May 31, 2007 10:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tiber,

The H Minor chord was made cannon by the council of Haight-Ashbury in 1969. It replaced the A Minor chord in accordance with the maxim, "The first shall be, you know, like last, man; just blowin' in the wind."

--Theo

June 01, 2007 6:16 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

Can you play an H minor on the jaw harp?

June 01, 2007 9:45 PM  
Blogger Richard Froggatt said...

I wouldn't know about your question; but I know you can't sock a minor on the jaw!

June 02, 2007 9:16 AM  
Blogger Hidden One said...

mmajor fan, you might want to chekc out dc talk's version of 'Jesus is Just Alright'.

June 02, 2007 11:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis