Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Friday, June 01, 2007

Feast of St. Justin Martyr


Today the Church celebrates the early Christian martyr, St. Justin Martyr. A Platonist philospher, he converted to Christianity and wrote two well known treatises defending the faith. For his staunch adherence to the Christian religion, he was beheaded in Rome in 165.

Saint Justin is the patron saint of apologists because of his written defense for the Christian faith. Some of his writings support the Eucharistic doctrine and are often used in my blog to illustrate just how early the Church was describing the sacrifice of the altar as the real Flesh and Blood of Christ.

"We call this food Eucharist, and no one else is permitted to partake of it, except one who believes our teaching to be true and who has been washed in the washing which is for the remission of sins and for regeneration [i.e., has received baptism] and is thereby living as Christ enjoined. For not as common bread nor common drink do we receive these; but since Jesus Christ our Savior was made incarnate by the word of God and had both flesh and blood for our salvation, so too, as we have been taught, the food which has been made into the Eucharist by the Eucharistic prayer set down by him, and by the change of which our blood and flesh is nurtured, is both the flesh and the blood of that incarnated Jesus" (First Apology
66 [A.D. 151]).


St Justin, pray for us that we would defend the faith, not just in word, but in deed as you showed by your life and death as a martyr for Christ.

O God, through the folly of the Cross You taught the Blessed Martyr Justin, the surpassing knowledge of Jesus Christ; grant us, by his intercession to avoid all the deceits of error, and to become steadfast in faith. Through the same, Amen.

4 Comments:

Blogger MMajor Fan said...

I love St Justin. Years ago I wrote a little fantasy trilogy just for my own creative outlet and a handful of friends to read, and he was a key character. He was an amazing man. In my book I had him return in spirit to aid in a kind of secular (due to loss of faith) apocalyptic scenario, bearing a sword (of discernment) and rising up out of a lake (I liked doing a Christian male reversal of the pagan Lady of the Lake image lol). From my missal when his feast day was April 14, the introit from Psalm 118:

The wicked have told me fables, but not as Your law. I will speak of Your decrees before kings without being ashamed, Alleluia, alleluia. Happy are they whose way is blameless, who walk in the law of the Lord. Glory be.

And from the mass, the prayer:

O god, through the folly of the Cross You taught the Blessed Martyr Justin, the surpassing knowledge of Jesus Christ; grant us, by his intercession to avoid all the deceits of error, and to become steadfast in faith. Through the same, Amen.

June 02, 2007 2:08 AM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

Thanks MM!
You should post that story on your blog!
thanks for the comment

June 02, 2007 8:01 AM  
Blogger Cathy said...

One of my favorite saints!
Thanks!!
:)

June 02, 2007 9:44 AM  
Blogger Steve Dillard said...

I apologize for leaving this comment here, but I could not find an email adress for you on your blog.

Would you please contact me by email? I am a former Catholics blogger heading up a national effort to oppose Rudy Giuliani's bid to win the GOP presidential nomination, and I would appreciate your assistance. Thanks!

June 02, 2007 10:52 AM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis