Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Thanks for the Prayers!!


I want to thank you all for the prayers during our trip to EWTN. The support we sensed from the saints here and beyond was palpable to us. Judging from the volume of e-mail and hits to my blog and website, we are so greatful that God used the program to touch the hearts of many. I received over 2400 hits to my blog for the past two days and the website almost 3000! Thom Hall from LovedtobeCatholic said his server shut down for over 20 minutes due to the volume of hits he received after I mentioned his website.

We felt especially blessed since our appearance on the show was sandwiched between the feast of the Immaculate Conception and the Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe. We had our blessed Mother working overtime with our prayer requests. She untied many knots for us and Jesus heard her prayers and answered them .

As some of you know, when I first went to confession three and a half years ago after deciding to return to the Church, the priest didn't give me Hail Mary's as my penance. He said, "Go out now and tell everyone what Jesus has done for you." Thank you Lord for giving me the opportunity you have given us to do just that. Only by your grace!

PD and I want to thank you guys for your prayers and support (thanks Japhy for the great question about my music! It loosened us up and helped us relax a bit). Please continue to keep us in prayer as we anticipate some attacks from the old slew-foot.

We will post more about the trip later.
God bless and thanks again.

Links to the show on the archives if you missed it: Here

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Please continue to keep us in prayer as we anticipate some attacks from the old slew-foot."

LOL! There's a nickname I don't recall ever hearing in Catholic circles. I told you you're also still an Evangelical: you just don't know it yet! :-)

TJ and PD:
Your testimony is a blessing for all who believe in Jesus Christ's lordship, justice and mercy. As He said, you will know the truth and the truth will set you free.

I appreciate how your testimony acknowledges those many non-Catholic Christians whose examples and obedience to the best of their ability to imitate Christ had positively affected you. Your journey home began years before you knew it, and in many ways it is our Protestant brothers and sisters who helped you along the way.

Because God's truth is greater than all, even those who might now be dismayed by your Tiber jumping have in all good faith aided you. The high-priestly prayer of Jesus shall not return void: whether seen by us in this life or the next, all Christians are united in ways we cannot imagine. As I've said to many such faithful friends, they are already Catholic: they just don't know it yet.

I'm sad for our sake that in the many Catholics around your younger selves, there apparently were few who pointed you toward apprehending the salvation bought by Our Lord's blood. Yet God is Good, and by his lordship, you nevertheless came to you first deeper knowledge of the Gospel thanks to the preaching and examples of non-Catholic Christians. Were it not for the obedience of these others who followed the same Lord, your lives might not have been touched by His grace as it has. So it's with a deeper sense of God's graciousness that I once again thank God for you both who have remained steadfast witnesses for me in dark times and glad.

By grace I am able to remain:
Your servant and brother in Christ,
--Theo

December 12, 2007 10:02 AM  
Blogger Warren said...

That was WONDERFUL! I taped it, and watched it later, because I was out when it was on! You guys were so totally great!

I kind of get choked up about the same things. Thank you SO MUCH for sharing from your heart!

Warren (also a convert)

December 12, 2007 10:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You both were terrific. It was so nice to see you give witness to the blessings and truths of the Catholic faith. Not only are you gifted in your spirituality and music, but you are also a gift to all of us.

btw. Nicean Blues had about 1000 new views on LTBC over the past few days. It's a hit!

December 12, 2007 11:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just watched the video with you and PD on the Journey Home. You did a great job! Thanks so much for sharing the beauty of the Church in such a powerful way.
Sue

December 12, 2007 12:07 PM  
Blogger EC Gefroh said...

Congrats to both of you for a wonderful and inspiring appearance on the Journey Home. I was struck by the gentleness of both of you, especially you Russ. I am so glad I didn't miss it.
God bless you both!
Happy Feast Day of Our Lady of Guadalupe.

December 12, 2007 1:42 PM  
Blogger owenswain said...

Well, look at those three would you and now my comment won't be off topic at all so, I'll say it again...I just went to EWTN, The Journey Home Network and downloaded the edition (Mon. Dec.10.2007) of the show you and your wife were on. I am grateful that even though all we have is a pair of busted rabbit ears and an old TV (that I watch less than one hour a month) I was able to view JHN online and to see the excellent job you two did in sharing your story. Gentleness and grace fill your story and your souls. May many be blessed by it.

And while I could not watch it live I did spread the word to a number of friends locally so you should have had at least a few Cannucks from my part of the province tuning in.

O onionboy.ca {arts & fath} luminousmiseries.ca {faith & art}

December 12, 2007 2:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I watched you! You both really were great. The kids have a knack for getting noisy when I am trying to hear something on TV. But I was glued to the screen when you were on, trying to hear every word I was so excited to be able to see you. And I teared up a little. It was touching.

December 12, 2007 7:48 PM  
Blogger Russ Rentler, M.D. said...

Thanks so much for the kind comments.
As you all know too, it's only by His grace that we came to walk this path.
Thanks so much for all your prayers.

December 12, 2007 10:41 PM  
Blogger + Alan said...

Dude! I missed it! I had the thought on Tuesday "oh man, last night was that Journey home" - oh well. I'll catch it on a rerun or online. Grace and Peace to you guys during the Advent season.

December 13, 2007 11:28 AM  
Blogger Lynne said...

Wow. I've just watched the first half-hour. God bless the two of you and your family. Guess I need to go thru your archives and see what I've missed.

December 15, 2007 11:12 AM  
Blogger Fr. J. said...

Welcome home to you both! Thank you for such a wonderful testimony on the JH show. It was very inspiring.

God Bless.

December 16, 2007 12:16 PM  
Blogger Joyful Catholic said...

Did you visit the Poor Clares in Hanceville? I have a friend whose daughter was professed in Sept. '05. I wish I'd have mentioned that to you so perhaps you could have met her or talked to her behind the grill. Pray that we can make a pilgrimage there next year! Great picture of the three of you!

susie

December 17, 2007 10:17 AM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis