Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Saturday, August 10, 2013

Reason # 978 To BE Catholic: The Church is Everywhere!


Everytime I go on vacation, which is not as often as I would like, my faith is encouraged when I find a nearby Catholic Church and the opportunity to worship. When I was not Catholic, we would usually skip services on Sunday. Why? We just figured we wouldn't find a church that had all our preferences in worship style, doctrine, preaching, etc. This past week we went to a rural part of New York State. We already had checked MassTimes.org and knew there was a parish for Sunday worship about twenty minutes from our campsite. As we drove towards our destination, we noted a little sign on the road "Transfiguration Monastery." What a treat to discover a Benedictine monastery 10 minutes from where we were staying that had daily mass! Not only that, but the day we found this monastery on our vacation was the Feast of the Transfiguration, celebrated by the Universal Church! The cool thing about monasteries, even cloistered ones, is that they are usually open to having guests worship with them at mass and pray the Liturgy of the Hours. We were blessed to be able to continue our routine of daily mass, even on vacation in rural New York State! And that my friends, is yet another reason to be Catholic!

 PS: If you are looking for a quiet retreat about 20 minutes from Binghamton, NY, check out the sisters at the Transfiguration Monastery in Windsor, NY. They have guest houses for retreats and have a priest available for confessions and daily mass all the while enjoying the idyllic pastoral surroundings of rural New York.


4 Comments:

Anonymous RenĂ©e said...

The Church is everywhere, and we can assist at Mass on a DAILY basis. That impressed the socks off of me when I became Catholic, because it seemed so right that I would give Him thanks and praise every single day of my life!

Oh, my goodness, you were so close to where I was born - Chenango County is just north of where you were! My mother's ancestors were all from Delaware County, just east of Windsor on the PA border. I had NO idea there was a Benedictine monastery in Broome County (the last time I was there, I was not Catholic.)

You have made me thoroughly homesick. So glad you could take such a nice trip and worship God as you traveled!!

August 11, 2013 8:28 AM  
Anonymous Potamiaena said...

On Good Friday this year, I went to Confession and Stations of the Cross in Sydney, Australia! The priest was so kind, and loved hearing my Texas accent. It was the highlight of my trip. Easter Sunday was spent in Freemantle, Western Australia!

What a mighty and wondrous Church we have. It was the most amazing experience! I am so grateful to be a part of this Church.

August 13, 2013 1:02 AM  
Anonymous online dramas said...

so nice blogger

August 14, 2013 9:58 AM  
Blogger kkollwitz said...

Going to Mass away from home is always an adventure.

August 15, 2013 10:28 PM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis