Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Handy Little Helps For Holiness from HLI


Father Euteneur's Human Life International is an international organization based in Virginia.
"The mission of HLI is to promote and defend the sanctity of life and family around the world according to the teachings of the Roman Catholic Church through prayer, service and education."

As an aside, Father E. became "notorious" last year when he went head-to-head with Sean Hannity regarding Catholics in the public arena who claim to be Catholic but consistently deny Catholic teaching.

His ministry also provides excellent helps for us to live a godly life in Christ Jesus.
I recently ordered a bunch of these: "A Practical Guide for the Sacrament of Confession" for just 10 cents a piece! Despite being Catholic for over 4 years now and going to confession almost monthly (sometimes more, sometimes less), I still get a bit anxious over the prospect of revealing my sins to my priest. Yet, I have never left the confessional regretting receiving the sacrament of reconciliation. I always leave rejoicing knowing that I am as clean as a baby's bottom that has just been baptized (I probably mixed a few metaphors there) but you get the idea. I especially enjoy the moments after confession when I come before the Blessed Sacrament to pray and do penance.

So why do I get anxious? Silly things like:
* Do I remember the Act of Contrition? Even though I know I only need to have a prayer from a contrite heart, I still like to pray the Act of Contrition. But I don't have it memorized.
* Did I perform a good examination of conscience beforehand to prepare?
* Will the priests think less of me after I tell them the crazy stuff that I think about?
* Add your own here_____________________________________.

The practical guide contains everything I need to make a good confession including the procedure in the confessional, the act of contrition and an excellent outline for an examination of conscience. They are small enough to keep in my wallet and keep several around the house, so when Saturday afternoon rolls around I have no excuse to not walk over to Church and receive forgiveness of my sins from Jesus through his Church. Head over to Father Euteneur's site and check out his pamphlets, and send him a little extra quid for the ministry!
Finally, from an apologetics point of view, The God Fearin' Fiddler has an interesting post regarding the early Church and its practice of the sacrament of reconciliation.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link.

I'm a big fan of Father Euteneuer and HLI as well.

June 25, 2008 6:03 PM  
Blogger Hidden One said...

Now they're $.15 each.

June 25, 2008 8:44 PM  
Blogger Molly said...

I get anxious every time too!And for all the reasons you listed aswell.

I'm glad that I'm not the only one.

June 28, 2008 11:13 AM  
Blogger Molly said...

Thanks for the link.

June 28, 2008 11:15 AM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis