Crossed The Tiber

An Evangelical Converts to Catholicism

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pennsylvania, United States

I was born into the Catholic faith. At 14, I was "born again" and found Jesus personally but lost His Church. After thirty years as an evangelical protestant, I have come full circle to find that He has been there all the time, in the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church. I wish others to find the beauty and truth of the Catholic faith as I have found.

Thursday, July 03, 2008

Bozo and Catholicism





By now you have heard the sad news that the beloved Bozo the Clown passed into eternity.
Anyone from my generation should remember the Bozo the Clown Show on TV.

Now how the heck does this relate to Catholicism? Well it turns out the connection between the word bozo with a dunce or a clown comes from the writings of St. Anselm of Canterbury, an 11th century theologian and saint. In his didactic writings he referred to himself as "A" with the correct answer and "B" to represent "boso" who was the dunce with an incorrect answer. It is quite possible this lead to the use of the term Bozo to represent a clown/hobo/dunce.

Requiem æternam dona eis, Domine, et lux perpetua luceat eis.

2 Comments:

Blogger Joyful Catholic said...

Only at Crossed the Tiber could I find the Bozo/Catholicism connection! I had to smile, although the news of Bozo's passing is sad. I actually hadn't heard about that until now upon opening your blog. God rest the sould of our beloved clown, Bozo. And thanks for the enlightenment of this connection, TJ.

July 04, 2008 9:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, the things you learn! Great stuff TJ.

And I'm sure many folks are just glad this has nothing to do with clown Masses. ;)

Seriously, it kind of gives you pause when all the icons of your generation are passing on.

July 04, 2008 4:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Home

Universalis